Wednesday, November 30, 2005

Slowly Changing Dimension Transformation against Oracle

Now here is something I was completely amazed by...

The SCD transformation will work against Oracle with a little tweaking. First, and this is the only time I would use this, use the Oracle for OLE DB Driver. The Microsoft Driver has a problem with the parameters that I haven't figured out yet. The SCD Wizard works as normal, but on the update side, it does not map the OLE DB Command to do the updates correctly. You will have to manually create the parameters under the Input side and then map them. Works like butter after that.

Another thought about these updates. If you are doing a lot of Type I dimensional changes, I would right these to a temp table and then use a one update to match everything by key. Much faster than the row by row action of the OLE DB command.

Scott

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home